14 Best Hospital (Medical/Therapeutic) Bed Mattresses & Mattress Toppers
A quality mattress is one of the best investments you can make for your loved one to lead an easier life. Whether you want them to stay at home with you for longer or they are ill and in the hospital, ensuring that they get safe and restful sleep every night helps them and yourself tremendously. A hospital mattress (or therapeutic/medical mattress as they are sometimes referred to) does not only provide support and comfort for seniors, but it can also help prevent or heal different health complications that they are facing.
Why Choose a Medical/Hospital Bed Mattress?
There are several reasons why your relative might benefit from using a hospital bed: they are recovering from an injury, they struggle with chronic pain, they are immobilized or dealing with a disease. All of these situations mean that your loved one is spending a majority or a significant amount of their time in bed. This is why a traditional sleeping surface may not be ideal or could even be damaging in the long run.
Instead, many families opt for hospital beds and medical mattresses. The latter offer increased support, prevent sores and pressure ulcers, as well as skin breakdown. But what are the key-aspects you should look for in a product like this?
What Size Should My Mattress Have?
Most hospital beds are 80 inches long and 35 inches wide. Those that accommodate expansion kits have even larger dimensions. So you should look for a mattress that fits these measurements – this usually translates to a twin XL product with a height of approximately 6 cm (to lower the risk of injuries).
If you are worried about the patient losing balance or falling, you can also look for models that feature side rails. These are removable and ideal if your relative is suffering from dementia or sleep disturbances.
What Type of Mattress Should I Choose?
If you want a mattress specifically for a hospital setting, it is important to know what kind of bed you are working with. Is it powered electronically with a remote control? Do you have to adjust it manually? Is it a bariatric bed for a heavier patient? Once you have answered these questions, you need to choose a mattress that best accommodates your loved one’s health condition and is most suited for alleviating or even eliminating their symptoms. Here are the most common types of mattresses that you should consider:
- Innerspring: this item uses an internal support of metal spring (sometimes in combination with high-quality foam); a large number of coils are distributed throughout the solid base to provide optimal support and accommodate different body shapes; this kind of mattress is perfect for tummy sleepers and hot sleepers because it ensures increased comfort and a cool surface; another benefit to innerspring products is that they offer a variety of sizes, coil gauge and designs; they are also the most economical options on the market;
- Memory Foam: this newer model is quite popular and highly recommended by specialists; unlike a traditional coil-based product, this type of mattress guarantees superior support and firmness; it uses several layers of quality memory foam which molds the surface to flawlessly contour and cradle the patient’s body; this innovative material also eliminates the need to regularly flip the mattress over and increases its durability; although slightly more expensive than standard products, a memory foam mattress is a smart investment that pays off in the long run;
- Alternating Pressure: these items feature special air cells that become inflated and deflated at certain intervals in order to keep the pressure points shifting throughout the body; this is known as wave therapy and it stimulates circulation, as well as skin nourishment (preventing maceration, wounds and other complications); this type of mattress is a good choice if your loved one is paralyzed, has very little mobility or a high risk of developing pressure ulcers;
- Low Air Loss: using a similar system to items with alternating pressure, low air loss mattresses promote proper air flow and only employ about 100 liters of air per minute; this allows for a normal skin temperature to be maintained, as well as for pressure to be alleviated in commonly affected areas; these items are made of fabric that is permeable to vapor and help reduce excess moisture; this in turn speeds up the recovery process for wounds and bed sores; low air loss mattresses are ideal for patients who struggle with injuries or skin breakdown, those who have decreased mobility and those who deal with sleep disturbances and night sweats; there are also dual therapy mattresses that combine low air loss with the alternating pressure system in order to offer better treatment and prevention.
Best mattresses for hospital beds
Depending on your family member’s illness, their sleep patterns and their level of mobility, you will need a different model that is tailored for their medical needs. Some options cost more (but are certainly worth their money), while others are more budget-friendly. Below you will find the most reliable mattresses for hospital bed use, according to quality, safety, price, type of therapeutic treatment offered and longevity.
1. Invacare Solace Prevention Mattress
If you want to improve the quality of your loved one’s hospital bed, then this Invacare Solace Prevention model could do the trick. Firm, but therapeutic, this waterproof mattress ensures that your relative is able to enjoy a comfortable stay at their nursing home or hospital. The product has a simple and well-executed design, but also side support and a non-skid bottom surface.
It features two-layered foam with high density that relieves pressure in areas that are susceptible to ulcers. Unlike a traditional coil mattress, it is protective and allows uniform weight distribution. Moreover, it is devised in such a way that it promotes airflow, featuring an egg-crate top. This helps prevent bedsores, one of the most common issues patients face when receiving home care. Invacare’s long-lasting mattress is also safer than that of a standard hospital bed and it will help your relative avoid health complications that develop over time.
The item has all the benefits of a standard mattress, but also added comfort from double layers of foam and increased durability. It can also be adjusted in a different angle and used to fit an electric medical bed. The package includes a removable soft cover that is anti-microbial and can be easily washed.
This product provides consistent rest and gentle support, while keeping the spine properly aligned. Whatever chronic condition the patient struggles with this mattress should improve the sleep quality.
- solid base that ensures comfort without compromising firmness
- better than regular mattresses: promotes air circulation and relieves pressure points
- high-density foam that prevents pressure ulcers
- water resistant
- nylon cover that protects against friction
- reduces the urge to toss and turn
- affordable in comparison to other models on the market
- no customization available
2. Drive Medical Extra Firm Innerspring Mattress
This innerspring mattress is a good choice if you are on a tight budget, but aren’t willing to compromise on quality. Specifically designed for home and hospital care, Drive Medical Extra Firm Mattress offers maximum comfort and stability. The fiber quality is excellent, made from premium grade cotton. In addition, there are two-screened brass side vents that promote air circulation.
Although it is not a 100% memory foam model, the mattress features a combination of coils and high-density urethane foam that ameliorates a variety of health problems. It also accommodates different sleeping positions (ideal for stomach sleepers) and minimizes motion transfer.
You should only opt for this product if your relative feels comfortable on a surface with more firmness. Unlike newer products on the market, this type of innerspring mattress provides less pressure relief and is harder to rest in.
On the other hand, it also retains less body heat than latex or memory foam models, which is preferable for someone who tends to sweat a lot during sleep. In addition to a cool sleeping surface, Drive Medical’s product has a naturally bouncy support core that can improve moderate back pain.
Despite some of its shortcomings, this innerspring mattress is ideal for certain patients that need increased spinal support. It is also highly recommended for individuals who weigh 230 pounds or more. The overall height is around 6 inches and the sleep surface can be lowered or raised. There is padding on both sides and an anti-static vinyl cover.
- the most affordable mattress on the market
- high-quality design with springs and foam
- breathable and comfortable
- comes with anti-bacterial, waterproof vinyl cover
- the best choice for stomach and hot sleepers
- evenly distributed coils that add to bounce
- extra firmness (can also be a con, depending on the user)
- very easy to clean
- certain buyers report decreased durability
- does not offer as much pressure relief as memory foam products
- not recommended for light sleepers (they can be quite noisy)
- not recommended for patients who prefer a softer mattress
- limited warranty
3. Marathon Advanced Care Memory Foam Mattress
If you are willing to stretch your budget a bit, this hospital bed mattress offers a unique experience of great relaxation and optimal support. Featuring several layers of multi-density foam and infused liquid gel, Marathon advanced care mattress surpasses most models on the market in terms of comfort.
Its strong base is not too hard on the back, but does not compromise on firmness either. The symmetrical foam layering is responsive to weight and temperature, morphing into the perfect position and shape for your satisfaction. As your body sinks in, you will feel cradled and snug, while your back receives steady support.
Most new mattresses relieve stress on pressure points through even weight distribution. This mattress does all of that, in addition to keeping the bed cool during the entire night. It uses an innovative gel memory foam that drains heat from the body and prevents the spume from cramming and building up heat. This should provide a cooler sleep experience, even if the patient struggles with night sweats or hot flashes.
Moreover, unlike other models, this item returns to its original shape after each use. The medium firm core and durable materials protect the mattress from damage, allowing it to last longer than its traditional innerspring counterparts.
Many people are unaware of the fact that a great number of mattresses are actually health hazards – the toxins and chemicals used in producing them lead to serious health complications or even life-threatening diseases. Marathon Advance Care is a decent choice if this is a worry of yours: it is made without using mercury, lead or other heavy metals.
It also has a certification from CertiPUR-US and does not contain any flame retardants, formaldehyde, ozone-depleting substances or other harmful chemicals. Additionally, it comes with a removable cover made of vinyl that is anti-fungal and fluid-proof.
- unrivaled on the market in terms of comfort
- multi-layered, quality foam infused with cool liquid gel
- perfect for hot sleepers (keeps the bed cool throughout the night)
- molds into different shapes and positions, but returns to its initial form (even after repeated use)
- lasts longer than regular coils or innerspring mattresses
- does not contain any toxic substances, chemicals or materials
- features a vinyl cover that is stain resistant and quickly absorbs fluid
- higher cost
4. Drive Medical Quick’n Easy Comfort Mattress
Constructed from a basic pocket-coil system, spring mattresses provide superior support at heavier points in the body. They promote optimal spinal alignment and reduce night disturbances, as well as the need to toss and turn. Generally speaking, they are also more breathable and allow for greater temperature control. However, one of the most pervasive and well-known disadvantages to this type of mattress is that they usually have a shorter lifespan.
This drive medical mattress combines the standard coil system with high-quality foam in order to offer you the best of both worlds – you get all the benefits of a regular spring product, but also increased durability and pressure relief. This is an good choice if you don’t have too much to spend, but you also want a quality item that will last you for several years.
Made from polyurethane foam, this model is lightweight and very easy to move around or flip (the shipping weight is a total of only 20 lbs). It adjusts well to your body shape and is amongst the coolest mattresses you can find. As opposed to a memory foam item, which is not ideal for hot sleepers, Drive Medical’s model is a smart choice for patients who struggle with night sweats. The cover is also water resistant.
Additionally, this product is a decent fit if your loved one does not enjoy too much rigidity for their sleeping surface. Unlike a memory foam mattress, which can be too firm for some people, this type of foam and coil combination feels much more springy or bouncy.
- low-cost (one of the most economical options on the market)
- durable, made of quality materials
- ideal for hot sleepers or those who prefer a less firm sleeping surface
- lightweight, convenient, easy to use and clean
- less airflow than with a memory foam model
- 1 ½ inches thinner than regular mattresses (may worsen mobility issues)
5. Steinz Alternating Pressure Mattress Pad
Featuring a unique air bubble system, this alternating pressure mattress pad was specifically designed for patients who are bedridden. If your loved one has a physical condition that prevents them from moving much, they will struggle with ulcers, sores, and persistent discomfort. This product can help alleviate or prevent most of these issues that arise with low mobility.
It ensures that your relative feels sheltered, reduces their need to toss and turn, but also decreases the risk of them developing pressure ulcers and other related complications. Holding a maximum weight of 300 lbs, the mattress is easy to set up and fits a standard hospital bed.
Steinz mattress pad promotes proper airflow and even weight distribution. Its sturdy base includes 130 air bubbles that do not only provide optimal support, but also ensure therapeutic treatment for unrelenting sores and skin maceration. The affected areas become relaxed and pain-free, without having too much force placed upon them. This is done through an ingenious system of alternating pressure – each bubble cell is deflated and inflated every six minutes and the pressure oscillates between them. As a result, there is steady airflow and consistent support for your loved one.
This product is a smart choice because it combines innovative design with functionality, for an affordable price. In fact, Steinz has some of the most economical models on the market, that don’t require you to compromise quality. It is made from long-lasting vinyl that is also water-resistant. Unlike regular items with coils, this one is durable and will offer your family member comfort for several years. The one downside we could find with this mattress is that its pump requires a power cord to function.
- highly effective for pain relief and prevention
- ideal if your relative is struggling with bedsores, ulcers or immobility
- features air bubbles that alternate pressure and guarantee excellent airflow
- one of the most affordable models on the market
- full package includes: pressure pump, patch kit, manual and flexible air hose
- the electric pump is very quiet and easy to use
- the pump requires an electrical power supply
- does not provide as much firmness as a memory foam model
6. Drive Medical Therapeutic 5 Zone Support Mattress
This product is a nice combination of high-quality and budget-friendliness. Featuring 5 thick comfort layers of memory foam, the mattress soothingly, but firmly hugs the user’s body and relieves pressure points. If your relative is struggling with chronic pain, this product could really help them out. The base does not sag over time like those belonging to regular hospital beds and it also does not absorb too much body heat.
This cross-cut therapeutic item helps with proper pressure redistribution, with a capacity of up to 275 lbs. The materials it is made out of are highly resilient and should make for a reliable sleeping surface for years to come.
This 5 Zone Mattress offers decent support and will not flatten or squish under a great deal of weight and will hold up well over time. However, it does require some upkeep – it should be flipped or rotated once a month for increased efficiency. It is important to note that certain patients might prefer a cushier surface than what a memory foam model has to offer.
If this is the case with your loved one, you can place a foam topper for added softness or opt for a different mattress base altogether. This support mattress also comes with a removable cover made from nylon and vinyl. It is fluid-resistant, vapor permeable and easy to clean. If your family member struggles with skin tears, this cover should reduce wounds and friction.
- features multiple layers of high-quality memory foam
- sturdy base that does not lose its shape over time
- offers pain relief and prevents pressure ulcers
- comes with a replaceable cover
- easy to use and clean
- promotes skin integrity
- has a weight limit of 275 lbs
- might feel too hard on the back for certain users
7. Vive 8 Alternating Pressure Low Air Loss Mattress
This product was designed exclusively for patients who struggle with skin breakdown and who have to spend the majority of their time in a wheelchair or bed. It uses an innovative support system to manage chronic pain caused by wounds, sores and pressure ulcers. Moreover, it speeds up recovery for these issues and prevents reoccurrence.
It contains 16 individualized air chambers and an adjustable pump that ensure consistent support and increased longevity. Typical mattresses will sink or become deformed in the place where patients sit or move around the most. On the other hand, Vive 8’s model provides edge support, durability and ease of movement. Although it is pricier than other items on the market, it pays off in the long run.
Vive 8 Mattress is a worthwhile investment if you prioritize quality and safety. It comes with an unconditional one-year warranty and utilizes a blend of low air loss and alternating pressure to relieve tension and discomfort. Additionally, you can customize the pressure settings according to your medical needs or preference. The three cells at the head of the bed remain static for added comfort, whereas the rest are up to you to set.
They deflate and inflate with a frequency that you choose and can modify throughout the day. However, if you do not notice any benefit from the alternating pressure therapy, you can turn this feature off by selecting the static setting (all air cells will remain stable).
- management, treatment, and prevention of pressure ulcers and sores
- combines two innovative designs (low air loss and alternating pressure)
- adjustable pressure
- very quiet pump
- the base maintains strong shape over time
- features a water-resistant, breathable cover made from vinyl
- comes with an unconditional guarantee
- can hold up to 400 lbs
- high cost
- is not as firm as memory foam models
8. Pressure Redistribution Medacure Foam Mattress
If you are searching for a high-quality mattress, then this Medacure’s model is a good option. With visco-elastic memory foam and multiple layers, this product is quite comfortable. It is designed to mold into the user’s position and shape, so it does offer cozy, gentle support.
After each use, the base returns to its initial form, ensuring excellent flexibility and longevity. The laminate design featuring three individualized convoluted foam layers guarantees efficient tension and pain relief.
This pressure redistribution foam mattress is suitable for disabled patients, or if your family member requires stage 2 wound therapy treatment. It targets multiple pressure points and can hold up to 300 lbs. The surface reduces shear, skin breakdown and friction, allowing easy, uninterrupted rest. This makes the model a good fit for chronic pain sufferers as well, as the surface will not excessively sag over time. Users also report that the pressure relief is superior to that of a standard coil-based mattress.
The package includes an anti-microbial cover that is fluid proof and anti-flammable. The fabric is detachable and has a protected zipper, making the bed easy to clean. An advantage to this model is that it does not come with a pump, nor does it require significant effort or time to reach optimal firmness.
- multi-layered quality foam that accommodates user’s shape
- ideal for patients undergoing wound therapy
- increased airflow for pressure ulcer prevention
- does not lose its form over time
- features anti-allergic, sanitary cover
- promotes spinal alignment
- more expensive than other models on the market
- the body tends to sink into the mattress if you move around a lot
- more sensitive to heat than other mattresses
- has been treated with flame retardants
9. Drive Medical Gravity 7 Long-Term Care Mattress
Many nurses recommend that you get a topper to place over the rough beds that patients are often placed on. However, sometimes a high-quality mattress like the Drive Medical model offers a durable, equally comfortable alternative for half the price.
The mattress base provides adequate support, but is smaller in thickness than regular mattress (or even than a latex-free model). Convenient and easy to clean, this item contains three full layers of high-density foam.
The top one is made through a die-cutting process and ensures that pressure is relieved from the most affected areas of the body. The bottom layer features articulation cuts that prolong the mattress’ life, making this product one of the most long-lasting on the market.
Dive Medical Gravity 7’s model prioritizes ease of use and security – there is a three-inch inclined perimeter that reduces the risk of patients falling and allows them to move effortlessly in and out of the bed.
However, bear in mind that, unlike memory foam mattresses, the Gravity 7 model features only standard foam. This means that the surface will not return to its initial shape after repeated use, nor does it contour the body in the same way as the newer models.
Moreover, you might find that this type of material is too firm for you. The kit includes a fire retardant cover that is also waterproof, easy to wash and with a low risk of tear.
- multi-layered foam that ensures ulcer and sore prevention
- increased longevity and safety
- can hold up to 300 lbs
- low risk of injuries from falling; ease of movement
- comes with removable cover
- users who weigh under the rated capacity (200 lbs) report their experience as unsatisfactory
- is as long-lasting as newer models, but does not feature any of the other benefits of memory foam items;
10. Drive Medical Low Air Loss Mattress
Drive Medical Low Air Loss Mattress is a new model on the market that caters to patients who struggle with bedsores, skin issues and disability. It uses a therapeutic form of treatment to keep them wound-free and works especially well for those who have limited mobility. Focused primarily on weight redistribution, the product prevents friction, shear and sustained pressure that often leads to injuries.
What makes this product stand out from many others is that it uses a low air loss system. This means that the mattress has multiple inflatable air tubes that expand and flatten on and off, mimicking the movement of a patient who is turning or changing positions in bed. This alternating emission of air relieves tension from the body, especially in pressure points like the shoulders, elbows, hips and heels. This optimal air circulation does not only heal and manage wounds and ulcers, but also helps prevent new ones from appearing.
Most mattresses that utilize this type of system only offer intermittent low air loss. It is usually activated for as little as 20 minutes, and only after pushing a button. This model guarantees continuous low air loss, which ensures much more efficient and reliable treatment. Moreover, people with limited mobility need a firm and stable surface to sleep on. Otherwise, the constant rising and falling makes it very painful to lie on for extended periods of time.
Unlike traditional products, this mattress accommodates the key-points of the body and provides sturdy support, without putting too much pressure on affected areas.
Lastly, this model comes with a “whisper quiet” pump. A majority of mattress pumps are loud or downright impossible to be around, but this is not the case with this one. At night, you may hear a very low humming sound, but most users say it is more soothing than disturbing.
- unique low air loss system that prevents and treats wounds and bedsores
- perfect for patients with decreased mobility
- maintains skin integrity and prevents friction
- firm, comfortable and easy to clean
- ensures continuous low air loss, as well as alternating pressure
- extremely quiet pump, ideal for light sleepers
- the pump needs to work uninterruptedly to maintain the surface’s firmness
- in case of a power outage, the mattress deflates and can be unsafe to use
11. Vive Alternating Pressure Mattress
Reliable and used by professionals and home-users alike, Vive Alternating Pressure Mattress is great for a hospital setting, as well as home care. Its unique design includes 130 individualized air cells that are inflated and deflated during certain intervals of time. This process reduces the contact points with the body and relieves any pressure spots, discomfort or tension. It also ensures that the weight is evenly distributed and the surface retains its shape over time (each air cell is heat-sealed to prolong the mattress’ lifespan).
This product is geared more towards patients who spend a majority of time in bed. It prevents many of the health complications that arise as a result, but also guarantees increased comfort and security for extended periods of time.
In addition, it eliminates disturbances that wake your loved one up or prevents them from falling asleep, as well as the urge to restlessly shift positions throughout the night. If your family member is immobilized, this model is useful because it reduces their uneasiness and soreness, and also helps with skin maceration.
A majority of users report a good or outstanding experience with this product. Most state that it helped them manage or heal current bedsores, and also prevented new wounds from forming. Made from sturdy vinyl, it has a weight capacity of 300 lbs and it accommodates a variety of sleeping positions and body shapes.
Featuring a pressure cycle that is six minutes long, the mattress is easy to install and the pump it comes with is very quiet and gentle. Your loved one should have their bed ready and the base fully inflated in as little as 4 minutes. It is also a perfect choice for light sleepers – senior users report that there is barely any noise (compared to some other models) and the most they could hear was a very low clock-like sound.
- prevents pressure ulcers, sores
- comfortable allows restful sleep
- quick to set up and easy to clean
- ideal for light sleepers and patients with decreased mobility
- air pressure is consistently changed (to improve circulation)
- features long flaps on both sides of the mattress
- portable and convenient (can be packed in as little as 15 minutes and easily transported to the hospital and back home or used during travel)
- may require something to secure the mattress and prevent slipping (if used for a hospital bed)
- the electrical cord may require an extension cord (or an outlet close to the bed)
12. Cloud Air Whisper Quiet Alternating Air Pressure Mattress Topper
Cloud air is one of the least expensive models on the market, making for a great price-performance ratio. This is a smart and worthwhile investment if your loved one suffers from wounds, chronic pain, limited mobility or bed sores.
Using air-lift technology, Cloud Air Whisper Quiet Mattress has a breathable surface that delivers uninterrupted air flow throughout the body. This boosts blood flow and releases tension and discomfort from key-pressure points. Additionally, it aids disabled patients in their struggle with skin breakdown – the comfortable design reduces friction and tear, preventing injuries and cycle disturbances.
The model uses advanced wave therapy to ensure that your loved one can sleep without major problems. With 130 pre-programmed air cells, this type of sleep surface improves relaxation, circulation and weight distribution. It is suitable for treating and preventing sores and wounds, but also for hot sleepers who struggle to keep the surface they lay on cool during the night. Each air cell gently deflates and inflates according to a set interval, using an algorithm that has been proven to eliminate pressure from commonly affected areas.
The product also comes with a “whisper quiet” pump that has different settings – you can customize its controls and choose a pressure level that matches your medical needs. With this product you don’t have to worry about waking up your caretaker or partner, because of the noise.
- recommended and praised by both physicians and users
- consistent airflow and equal weight distribution
- manages, treats and prevents bed sores and ulcers
- wave therapy that keeps the sleeping surface cool throughout the night
- extremely quiet pump (barely noticeable, voted “most quiet” by users)
- supports up to 300 lbs
- made of medical-grade vinyl that is also waterproof
- may require something to keep it fixed and prevent slipping (when used on a hospital bed)
13. Apex Medical Domus 1 – Alternating Pressure Pads with Electric Pump Overlay System
One of the main features of the Apex Medical Domus 1 is the alternative pressure redistribution system. It’s a system that cycles air to redistribute the patient’s weight to relieve pressure points, preventing pressure injuries from developing or worsening. The electric pump overlay system makes this cycling action possible by inflating and deflating 130 pieces of medical-grade PVC air bubbles at a 10-minute cycle.
These bubble pads are surprisingly lightweight and are only 2.5 inches in height, but they can support patients that are up to 220 pounds. A weight indicator reference facilitates optimizing air pressure settings for a more accurate distribution of weight. At a supply voltage of 120V/60Hz, the pump has a low working noise level at ≦36dB(A).
- Alternating pressure redistribution system
- 130 pieces of medical-grade PVC air bubbles
- Low noise pump
- Fits hospital beds
- 220 lbs maximum weight capacity
- The hooks that come with the pump are flimsy
At 77.2 inches long and 34.5 inches wide, Apex Medical Domus 1 fits standard hospital beds. On each end of the alternating pressure pad is an anti-sliding extension flap that is 11 inches long. You can tuck the flaps under the mattress to prevent the pad from sliding up and down.
These flaps, however, cannot prevent the pressure pad from moving side to side or from bunching up.
14. Vaunn Medical Cloud Air Whisper Silent Alternating Air Pressure Mattress Topper
An alternating air pressure mattress topper like the Vaunn Medical Cloud Air Whisper is suitable for patients that require extended bed rest. Its chief function is to prevent and relieve pressure ulcers. Made from waterproof medical-grade vinyl, this mattress promises a cool and comfortable sleeping surface but is only the same plastic quality as similar alternating pressure mattress toppers in the market.
- Airlift technology provides constant and distributed airflow
- Advanced Sleep Wave Therapy
- Quiet pump with custom controls
- The mattress topper’s surface can be uncomfortable with a plastic feel
This pressure mattress topper’s dimensions are 78 inches by 36 inches after inflation. It comes with a 9 inches by 4.25 inches by 3.25 inches pump and a 5 feet long hose. The alternating pressure pad and pump system are straightforward, with no frills. It looks similar to other brands of alternating air pressure mattress toppers. Its features include an airlift technology that provides constant and distributed airflow throughout the patient’s body. This technology ensures that the mattress topper stays cool and comfortable for the patient to sleep in. Proper airflow also prevents skin maceration, especially when used with an alternating air cell technology.
Advanced sleep wave therapy is a system developed with 130 pre-programmed air cells that inflate and deflate in a wavelike manner to facilitate eliminating pressure through proper weight distribution. Vaunn uses a proprietary algorithm to promote muscle relaxation, blood circulation, and pressure spot relief. Considered as one of the quietest pressure pumps in the market, the Vaunn’s Whisper Quiet pumps also have controls for a truly customized pressure level.